- Location search has two attributes: Common for the most popular species in a state and Uncommon for rare and state listed birds.
- Attributes are grouped into basic, head and flight related area.
- 14 new search attributes including search by patterns, length, wingspan.
- Updated state and province bird lists using official references.
- Shake your device to automatically play a random bird song.
- Taxonomic and Alphabetical family sort options on Browse screen.
- Bird app ★★★★★ If I could only have one bird app this would be it. The photos are outstanding and show the birds in different plumage throughout the year. Multiple voices are also a plus. -CascadeHeadJack
- Awesome app ★★★★★ This app has great pics and information. It looks even better on an iPad. The bird songs are especially useful and it’s more info than you would ever get in a book. -RIwintin
- iBird West-a great guide ★★★★★ I originally downloaded the free iBird Lite to try it out. I found it so helpful that I wanted more, and purchased iBird West. It’s a wonderful resource for identifying birds in our region visually and audibly. This app has revealed my “inner bird lover.” Who knew? -Mother of Chewie
- Best field guide! ★★★★★ This is the best field guide app I’ve used or seen! It has many layers that are useful and well constructed. Buy this app. -Scaphinotus
- So much to love ★★★★★ I placed myself in the trust of all the reviewers who gave this app 5 stars and ignored the 1 star reviews. When I see a 1 star review in the midst of so many 5 star reviews I have almost always discovered the reviewer either missed a feature or stumbled in the beginning and got so impatient they tossed the app aside. That seems to be the case with a few of these birding apps. Not so much iBird since most of the apps are all a full five star reviews with a few 4 1/2 which is still outstanding. Here is what I discovered about iBird West:
1. Covers the 12 western states plus Hawaii and Baja (AR, AZ, BAJA, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, MN, OR, UT, and WA). Considering the price when I bought it was $5 and it has 830 birds that has to be the best deal in the app store. Even the Audubon app which covers all of North America has less species!
2. Has a photo mode that lets you see both Portrait and Landscape mode photographs which is outstanding flexibility.
3. A spectrogram display lets me see the details of the songs in addition to the regular oscilloscope waveform display. This is more than apps entirely devoted to audio recording.
4. The songs and calls are from the Cornell library which means the quality is top notch.
5. The only app which has both illustrations and photos.
These five facts were enough for me to make the best app purchase I’ve ever made. -amurderofcrows
- Great! ★★★★★ Love that is has both photos and drawings of each bird. Tons of information. -golfersontheroad
- Great field app ★★★★★ This app is a nice addition to a field guide book. It has photos of male and female, which are often more helpful in identifying birds than drawings. Also, I love the recorded bird songs! -Daniela Wersin
- Favorite of apps ★★★★★ I insist on demoing to any birder I meet. Has replaced my field guide on most outings. -WillGH
- Truly a great app ★★★★★ No false advertising here. Love to have this available when I’m looking on the back yard and when I’m traveling. Enjoy. -Idahophoto
- Bird West ★★★★★ Fabulous resource. The best. -Sue Vo
- Birder ★★★★★ Great app! I use it for song ID all the time with local birds. I also use it when traveling. A great tool! -LW in CA
- Fantastic app ★★★★★ It could not be better. -Jp in CA
- Brilliant ★★★★★ Wonderful for the casual or enthusiast birder. Fantastic search features! -Richard Hatfield
- Makes Birding Fun (for us amateurs) ★★★★★ We’ve always enjoined the birds who visit our yard and community environs. This app more than doubles the pleasure! Highly recommended for anyone even mildly interested in fowls. -Davey-boyo
- Excellent app for beginners ★★★★★ The favorites and notes are extremely helpful to keep track of birds I have seen. -GTonk
- An essential field tool ★★★★★ What a joy to have the equivalent of Sibley but without the weight & bulk in the field. The photos, song/voice recordings and easy access to the same info for similar-appearing species really enhance the usefulness of this app, along with option of auto-recording the time, date & GPS coordinates of one’s sightings. Took a bit of time to download on my old iPhone, but worth way more than the $5 cost of the program. -Don Lipmanson