iBird Pro by Mitch Waite Group – Macworld’s best ref app 2009
■ NEW VERSION 2.0.9 FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH
■ HAVING TROUBLE SYNCING? READ THIS BLOG: http://bit.ly/ibird_install_faq2
■ 148 NEW AUDIO CALLS FROM THE MACAULAY LIBRARY AT THE CORNELL LAB OF ORNITHOLOGY
■ 353 BRAND NEW LANDSCAPE MODE PHOTOS
■ NEW VIEW MODE FEATURE: SEE LISTS IN COMPACT, ICON, THUMBNAIL AND GALLERY FORMAT
■ BETTER TABLET COMPATIBILITY IN 2.0.9 – SEE RECENT CHANGES SECTION
■ CORRECTS SD CARD FAUX PAS – SEE (4) BELOW
■ NEW IBIRD BLOG: MUST READ DETAILS http://ibirdblog.wordpress.com/
NEW FEATURES OF IBIRD PRO VERSION 2
■ All screens optimized for tablets – illustrations, photos and range maps fill the screen.
■ Audio bird songs and calls from the Macaulay Library at the Lab of Ornithology.
■ See how 5 most popular birding apps stack up: http://bit.ly/compareapps
iBird Pro: Macworld’s best reference app of 2009 comes to Android. Covers 924 species of North America, over 1000 drawings, 2500 photos, 5 hours of song recordings from the Cornell Ornithology Lab. In depth descriptions, search engine to ID birds by color, shape, habitat, and more plus color range maps & lifetime updates.
No Internet connection required. Even includes the extinct Ivory-billed Woodpecker.
Only uses 13MB of RAM; entire 500MB database is on SD Card or main storage RAM.
Bird by Bird installer vastly simplifies installation with download manager for sounds, illustrations and photos. Can sync over any kind of network but WIFI is recommended.
Notable features of this version 2 of iBird are:
■ Illustrations, Photos and Maps are full HD 576 x 720p resolution
■ Attributes are grouped into basic, head and flight related areas
■ Updated state and province bird lists using official references
■ Taxonomic and Alphabetical family sort options on Browse screen
■ Playing bird songs and calls lets you to attract birds right to your device for easier identification, clearer photographs and more enjoyment (1)
■ Icon-driven search engine, enables you to identify birds using shape, color, location, habitat, head pattern, flight pattern, bill shape, length and more
■ Hand-drawn full sized color illustrations, with perching and flight views
■ Multiple professional photographs of most species, showing plumages, sexes and seasons
■ Extensive identification, behavior, and habitat information, including diet, egg color and much more
■ Full color range maps for every species
■ Zoom and pinch bird portraits, for viewing fine detail
■ Links to Flickr photos and detailed Wiki pages for each bird
■ Bookmark birds as favorites for fast access
■ Species, common and family names in English, French and Spanish (text is English)
■ Includes band codes
■ Lifetime updates to bird information
You can also keep up to date with other iBird users by following @iBirdExplorer on Twitter and by joining the iBird fan page on Facebook (search for iBird).
(1) If you use iBird in the field, please do so responsibly. We recommend the American Birding Association’s Code of Ethics (http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html), particularly section 1(b), for guidance.
(2) The database of bird illustrations, photos and sounds is downloaded from our server so before installing iBird please make sure you are on a fast WIFI connection. A cellular connection will generally be too slow.
(3) If you need tech support please go to http://www.whatbird.com/contactus/ and fill out the form. It will help us diagnosis your problem.
(4) Previous versions of iBird inadvertently had encryption on which prevented app from being moved to SD Cards. This has been fixed and now if you have an SD Card you can move the iBird application to it, if it does not install there by default. Database always installs on SD Card or storage area.
Notable Features of all versions:
- Location search has two attributes: Common for the most popular species in a state and Uncommon for rare and state listed birds.
- Attributes are grouped into basic, head and flight related area.
- 14 new search attributes including search by patterns, length, wingspan.
- Updated state and province bird lists using official references.
- Taxonomic and Alphabetical family sort options on Browse screen.
- iBird Pro 2 is Great! ★★★★★ I had iBird Pro on another device so this is the second time I’ve purchase the app. It is a must have if you like birding.-Eric
- Much better and easier to use than a bird book ★★★★★ More actual photograhs of birds. Found bird in 5 minute that I couldn’t find in three bird books that I have.-James A Watson
- Wonderful Product ★★★★★ This application, iBird Pro 2, Mitch Waite Group, has Detailed imagery and multiple calls for most birds. Easy to use. More bird options than I’ll ever identify. Easy to update.-David
- IT WORKS ★★★★★ A good way to learn how to use the app is to use the search criteria as is recommended on birds you have already identified. You will see how easy it is to use
and how accurate it is.-GERALD F HARRIS
- Love this app ★★★★★ I have never rated an app before, but felt compelled to take the time for this one. Great app & thx for making it affordable. I use it almost daily.-Thelma
- Loved it. ★★★★★ Much faster than Audubon app. -Terry
- Everything you need! ★★★★★Tons of info, incredible sounds, great pics, in short everything you need for bird identification! Love this app! -Chris
- Complete and easy to use. ★★★★★ I use this on my Asus transformer and droid 3. Well executed program and complete coverage. The only thing to look out for is to make sure you sync via wifi BEFORE going in the field. -Trey
- Bird Guide Evolution ★★★★★Purchased, explored, and enjoyed. And then I discovered the search engine, filter parameters — awesome! Want to get ready for warbler migration in the Spring? Select your state from the location filter, Wood Warblers from the family, and the month you will be looking for them. Then view the list. See a bird with yellow on it at your feeder? Select feeder birds, month, state, and “yellow”. Narrows it down quite nicely. This app is where the evolution of bird guides has lead. -PaNat
- Amazing! ★★★★★ I’ve never spent more than $2 on an app for my Android phone or iPad but I bit the bullet with iBird. In a matter of minutes I was able to identify the bird that visited my feeder for the first time. The app is very easy to use and the search capabilities are incredible. Love that I was able to add my own notes and insert a time stamp. Worth the $10!! -SchnooMom
- Even better than hoped ★★★★★ Thorough, intuitive, great search features….. Even better than I hoped. Like carrying my guides with me all the time. You will be glad you got this one. -Mary Andyshak
- Just awesome ★★★★★ An awesome amount of info easily available. So much I felt guilty paying only 5 dollars for it. Its like all your favorite bird guides combined in one awesome app. -Laggard
- Great app. Works so much better than any bird book can. ★★★★★ Incredible deal, easy search, I’D via songs, photos, text, or illustrations. Helps greatly in the field, especially having song recordings. -Mtnviewer
- Fantastic ★★★★★This is a great app! Everything you need for bird identification and has a plethora of great features to aid the process. I highly recommend. -Dr. Watson
- Great for identification and info ★★★★★ I was very pleased to disccover the depth of coverage for each individual bird, similar species, calls and multiple photos. Great app, I love it. -podunkian
- The product speaks for itself ★★★★★ This creation is simply a fantastic tribute to birds and all their beauty and a pleasure to use. Will not disappoint. -Pondpilgrim
- ibird ★★★★★ Great app! Easy to use very informative! We love it! It’s nice having sounds to accompany the wealth of info already there! -ORcoast birder