iBird Lite – Macworld Best Reference App 2009
■ NEW VERSION 2.0.9 FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH
■ NEW AUDIO CLIPS FROM THE MACAULAY LIBRARY AT THE CORNELL LAB OF ORNITHOLOGY
■ BRAND NEW LANDSCAPE MODE PHOTOS
■ NEW VIEW MODE FEATURE: SEE LISTS IN COMPACT, ICON, THUMBNAIL AND GALLERY FORMAT
■ BETTER TABLET COMPATIBILITY IN 2.0.9 – SEE RECENT CHANGES SECTION
■ CORRECTS SD CARD FAUX PAS – SEE (4) BELOW
■ NEW IBIRD BLOG: MUST READ DETAILS http://ibirdblog.wordpress.com/
■ INSTALLATION ISSUES: http://bit.ly/ibird_install_faq2
NEW FEATURES OF IBIRD LITE VERSION 2.0.9
■ All screens optimized for tablets – illustrations, photos and range maps fill the screen.
■ Audio bird songs and calls from the Macaulay Library at the Lab of Ornithology.
■ See how 5 most popular birding apps stack up: http://bit.ly/compareapps
Named best reference app by Macworld the free iBird Lite app is a sampler with all the features of the fully paid Pro. Designed specifically for the Android, iBird Lite contains 30 birds, 50 illustrations, 127 photos, 58 audio recordings of bird calls, 30 range maps and comprehensive facts to help you identify and enjoy some of the most popular birds in North America. No Internet connection required. Even includes the extinct Ivory-billed Woodpecker.
Bird by Bird installer vastly simplifies installation with download manager for sounds, illustrations and photos. Can sync over any kind of network but WIFI is recommended.
Notable features of this version 2 of iBird are:
■ Illustrations, Photos and Maps are full HD 576 x 720p resolution
■ Attributes are grouped into basic, head and flight related areas
■ Updated state and province bird lists using official references
■ Taxonomic and Alphabetical family sort options on Browse screen
■ Playing bird songs and calls lets you to attract birds right to your device for easier identification, clearer photographs and more enjoyment (1)
■ Icon-driven search engine, enables you to identify birds using shape, color, location, habitat, head pattern, flight pattern, bill shape, length and more
■ Hand-drawn full sized color illustrations, with perching and flight views
■ Multiple professional photographs of most species, showing plumages, sexes and seasons
■ Extensive identification, behavior, and habitat information, including diet, egg color and much more
■ Full color range maps for every species
■ Zoom and pinch bird portraits, for viewing fine detail
■ Links to Flickr photos and detailed Wiki pages for each bird
■ Bookmark birds as favorites for fast access
■ Species, common and family names in English, French and Spanish (text is English)
■ Includes band codes
■ Lifetime updates to bird information
You can also keep up to date with other iBird users by following @iBirdExplorer on Twitter and by joining the iBird fan page on Facebook (search for iBird).
(1) If you use iBird in the field, please do so responsibly. We recommend the American Birding Association’s Code of Ethics (http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html), particularly section 1(b), for guidance.
(2) The database of bird illustrations, photos and sounds is downloaded from our server so before installing iBird please make sure you are on a fast WIFI connection. A cellular connection will generally be too slow.
(3) If you need tech support please go to http://www.whatbird.com/contactus/ and fill out the form. It will help us diagnosis your problem.
(4) Previous versions of iBird inadvertently had encryption on which prevented app from being moved to SD Cards. This has been fixed and now if you have an SD Card you can move the iBird application to it, if it does not install there by default. Database always installs on SD Card or storage area.
- Location search has two attributes: Common for the most popular species in a state and Uncommon for rare and state listed birds.
- Attributes are grouped into basic, head and flight related area.
- 14 new search attributes including search by patterns, length, wingspan.
- Updated state and province bird lists using official references.
- Taxonomic and Alphabetical family sort options on Browse screen.
- LOVE IT ★★★★★ This developer has EARNED the price of his PRO app. even this free app is amazing–pro just gives a zillion more birds. -William J. Price “-bp”
- Real fun and educational ★★★★★ This is a great app. Really helps with identifying birds at our feeder. Love it!!!!! -Howard&Heather
- Outstanding app! New android version is fantastic with HD photos and art. Even if … ★★★★★ Outstanding app! New android version is fantastic with HD photos and art. Even if you are not into birding, this app will show you what’s outside. -C
- Great tool for bird watching!★★★★★ Wow. I can now identify all the birds at my feeder . South East Michigan -Dan
- Great!★★★★★ This app is great, as a lite version, it only has 30 or so birds, but gives you a taste of the pro version. I recommend this over petersons field guide without hesitation! -Brian
- Paved my way to iBird Pro ★★★★★ I downloaded and installed iBird Lite app easily. The bird images and sounds must be downloaded from the More page. Be sure to tap Synchronize and it will go fast. You can also sync one images for one bird at a time but why bother. The quality of the art and bird songs was outstanding however there are only 30 birds. But its free so whose counting? The search engine is neat. After playing with Lite for 15 minutes I felt comfortable spending $9.95 to buy iBird Pro 2. -murderofcrows
- iBird Lite: Excellent Starter for Birding ★★★★★ This free app with 30 species is the perfect way to get started with birding. The product has all the features of the paid Pro app but does not have the full complement of 924 species found in North America. Instead there are 30 birds which is enough to get a good feeling for how it works. -John Lanum
- Nice but…★★★★★ This was a nice product… What do you want for nothing? Don’t bother and just go to the full iBird Pro 2 version. This one has 30 birds. The Pro 2 version has 964 birds. This one costs $0. The full version costs $4.99. You do the math! The full version will overshadow the best of the field guides out there. -Bartski