Did you know there are 48 million birders in North America? Or that the hobby of birding is a $93 billion industry? Whether you are a bird lover or a newbie to the hobby, iBird Plus is the very first purchase you should make. Why? Because iBird will turn your computer, tablet or smartphone into the worlds best and coolest digital field guide to birds on the planet. And it will help you identify, catalog, and learn everything under the sun about these magical creatures.
With a patented visual search engine and extraordinary depth, the iBird Guide to Birds of North America will have you identifying bird species like the experts with just a few taps. Once you have identified your bird use the app’s amazing collection of illustrations and photos to study its features and characteristics, or what birders like to call its GISS. Then use one of its 3,000 audio recordings to invite the bird right to you!
Essentially iBird lets you say goodbye to large, heavy and easy to forget printed book based guides and replaces them with a multimedia marvel that will teach you how to ID birds like an expert, provide you with literally dozens of illustrations, photos, textual and numeric information and much much more.
Here are just a few of the things that make iBird the perfect app for birders.
▶ THE WORLDS MOST POPULAR BIRDING APP now comes to Windows 8 with features that go far beyond any field guide on the planet.
▶ AS SEEN IN APPLE’S TV COMMERCIAL “We have an app for that” (ibird.com/itchy).
▶ INCLUDES 816 SPECIES OF NORTH AMERICA INCLUDING CANADA, NORTHERN MEXICO AND BAJA CALIFORNIA
▶ GORGEOUS HAND DRAWN ILLUSTRATIONS – for every species along with many photos from professionals that show the species in its natural environment.
▶ COMMENTS – LEAVE MESSAGES ABOUT EACH BIRD ON ITS SPECIES PAGE, SAVE YOUR OWN NOTES AND MARK BIRDS AS FAVORITES .
▶ 20 POWERFUL SEARCH ATTRIBUTES TURNS YOU INTO A BIRDING EXPERT – iBird searches by color, shape, size, habitat, backyard feeder, family, four kinds of color (primary, secondary, prominent, breast and crown) and much more.
▶ PATENTED “S.A.V.E” SEARCH ENGINE – guarantees you will never see “no birds found. This marvelous invention awarded patent 7,363,309 from the US Patent Office uses an elimination decision approach so that you are only presented characteristics which help narrow your search.”*
▶ TUTORIALS – Explain how and when to use each search attribute along with lessons on birding.
▶ AUDIO SONGS AND CALLS – iBird offers 5 hours of bird songs and calls. 154 more species song tracks than any other bird app!
▶ CONFORMS TO ABA AND AOU STANDARDS –iBird follows standards set by the American Ornithological Union and the American Birding Association. As an example check the splits of the Winter Wren and Whip-poor-will.
▶ TAXONOMIC SORT – Sort species by taxonomic (evolutionary) or alphabetic order.
AWARDS and ACCOLADES for iBird:
▶ MACWORLD’S “BEST REFERENCE APP 2009: 4 ½ out of 5 mice.”
▶ O’REILLY “BEST IPHONE BIRDWATCHING APP 2009″
▶ RUNNER UP: 2011 BEST APP EVER AWARD FROM 148APPS.COM
▶ RECOMMENDED BY SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2012
▶ TELEVISION PERSONALITY HOST PHIL DONAHUE’S FAVORITE BIRD APP
Whether you’re a novice who is looking to become an expert or an expert wishing to know more details that anyone could keep track of iBird is for you. iBird’s elegant interface, which can be mastered in minutes, opens you to the world of birding in a super visual way. Containing the equivalent of 14 book-based field guides with iBird you will be able to type a few letter of any species name and see it appear instantly on the Browse screen. Don’t know the name? Just enter your location, the bird’s most prominent color and possibly a few other details and watch iBird’s “parametric” decision engine find the exact bird you are looking for. It’s patented algorithm makes finding a bird a simple step-by-step process where nothing can go wrong. It makes sure that the result you get is the only possible bird with those characteristics.
▶ Parameter driven search engine lets you identify birds quickly, so you spend more time observing and less time reading.
▶ Search by Location, Shape, Size, Habitat, Color, Family, Length, Weight, Wing shape and much more.
▶ Taxonomic and Alphabetical Family sort options.
▶ Hand-drawn full sized color illustrations, with perching and flight views.
▶ Multiple professional photographs for each species showing sexes and seasons.
▶ Professionally recorded bird calls and songs for almost every species.
▶ Extensive identification, behavior, and habitat information.
▶ Full color range maps.
▶ Bookmark birds as Favorites for fast access.
▶ Notes can be saved with every species page, date and time stamped as well as geolocation information added.
▶ Comments can be shared with other birder by adding to any species page.
- iBird Guide to Birds of North America ★★★★★WOW – A GREAT app for serious birders that incorporates the new Windows 8 concept at its best. I use iBird PRO on my Android devices and was disappointed not to see an iBird app for Windows 8 when I purchased my Microsoft Surface. But now I see why, iBird completely reinvented the premiere product for Windows 8. GREAT JOB iBird, and Thank You. -Jim
- Awesome!★★★★★I’m a big fan of iBird, and I am glad to see it made it to the Windows platform! The interface is beautiful. The content is rich. It’s by far the best birding app out there! -Ben
- Excellent Birding App! ★★★★★ An easy-to-use comprehensive birder’s app. Experienced birders will appreciate the detailed background and supporting documentation; I really like the sound and natural history links. People trying to learn birds will find the excellent search and ID functions very useful. Good job- Thanks! -Baja
- New but very promising ★★★★★Very slick app. Makes good use of Windows 8 UI advantages vs. iOS. Love combination of illustrations and photos. Would be great to have eBird integration and companion app on Windows Phone. -Mason
- great app ★★★★★This is an excellent little birding app, and definitely the best birding resource available on Windows 8 right now. The search feature is excellent, and it has sounds for almost all of the birds. If only you could take a picture of a bird and it would ID it for you. One can dream. -James
- Nice job, iBird! ★★★★★ I have used this app on the iPad a lot but recently switched to the Surface. They have done an awesome job. The whole UI is better IMO than the iPad and the way the search works on my PC is really helpful. I noticed there are not quite as many features on Windows as on the iPad but knowing how often this developer updates I expect to see things change. Nice job! -John
- WOW ★★★★★ I’ve run iBird for years on my iPhone and love it. I’m now loving it on my Surface and can’t wait to dump my iPhone for a Windows phone. Fantastic job taking advantage of the Windows 8 interface. Thank you!!!!!!!! -Larry
- Excellent version of a great APP ★★★★★ Their iPad version is one of the best birding apps available. This is the version 1.0 for Windows 8, and was one of the first APPs I was looking for after purchasing Win8. Slightly different interface than iPad version, but clean and crisp. Look forward to next upgrade that will hopefully include their outstanding slide show, sonogram and spectrogram of vocalization. Few small bugs, but they are apparently working on those features. Highly recommend. Excellent teaching tool. Links to Birdipedia. -Elizabeth